Team 4: Amazing Otters
Block Assignment: Learning Block
Team Member Roles and Responsibilities:
Katie Ahmed: Time Keeper and Summarizer Of Main Events
Martin Nguyen: Twitter Monitor
Alexandra Lorenzana: Note Taker
Gabriela Gutierrez: Dedicated Devils Advocate Twitter
Dana Angelo: Discussion Leader
- You will be more successful getting a job if you are educated.
- Jobs want people who know how to critically think, and our school systems are don’t teach students to think critically.
- Individual personality will help you stand out, if you only have a basic education, but not everyone has a unique personality that helps them.
- It is hard to teach and find a standard when you have migrant students who don’t speak English
- Nothing can change if people don’t work together.
- “Economically deprived children require 20%-40% more funds per pupil.”(p14) Would it be fair to give these children more funds from the state or federal government?
- “While many educated-practioner organizations have endorsed the new Common Core standards initiative…”(p.15). Why do you think these organizations favor the Common Core Standards?
- NCTE members “expressed worry that the standards would reduce the curriculum to what can be measured on a standardized test.” In what ways would this affect a students ability to learn? Explain.
- Do you believe the Common Core is an appropriate assessment to determine whether students are ready to graduate and be successful throughout their lives?
The NGA/CCSSO cut-score criterion is that “every high school students must be college-ready.” (p13)