Extension Activity #2: Why Schools?
The purpose of this activity is to show the effectiveness of teaching a skill through creative means versus traditional methods.
Extension Activity Preparation:
Students will be numbered off by 2s, and split into two groups.
Once the class is split into two groups, the groups will be given instructions on the way they will be taught a specific skill, in this case, multiplication will be the focus.
· One group will be taught multiplication through a traditional method, i.e. memorization or drilling
· The other group will be taught multiplication in a more creative way, i.e. through a game
After the activity, the two groups will be asked questions and engage in a small group discussion based on these questions. Then, the class will come back together and engage in a discussion based on the activity.
To show that even subjects that students find boring can be made fun and interesting with a little creative thinking, and that memorization does not always get the job done.
1. For the times table group: How did you feel about this activity? Was it an efficient method of learning?
2. For the board game group: How did you feel about this activity? Was it an efficient method of learning?
3. Which method of learning do you think would be more effective in preparing students for the application of knowledge and the desire to continue their education? Why?
4. What other methods of teaching do you think would be effective ways of helping students to retain the information in a way that allows them to apply it as opposed to just memorizing information and not knowing how to use it?
5. Describe what the difference between learning and memorizing is to you.